LESS WEIGHT, MORE DURABILITY: 2013 NISSAN LEAF BATTERY SPACER AND TERMINAL COVER
SOLUTION STORY: UNDER-THE-HOOD & ELECTRIC VEHICLES
- Injection molded with NORYL™ resin (PPE+PS)
- Low specific gravity supports Nissan’s goals for weight savings (up to 20%) and extended driving range
- Halogen-free flame retardance (UL94 V-0) ··Low moisture absorption ensures retention of critical properties and long-term durability
- Low warpage
- Chemical resistance against electrolyte
- Dimensional stability and flatness aids automated assembly
With a focus on increasing the EV’s performance and efficiency, Nissan sought to lighten the 2013 model vs. the outgoing model.
HIGHER PERFORMANCE AT A LIGHT WEIGHT
Collaborating with Nissan and its partners in the early stages, SABIC helped cut part weight by about 20 percent from the terminal cover and spacer of the LEAF’s Lithium-ion battery pack system using lightweight NORYL resin – an injection-moldable blend of an unfilled, modified polyphenylene ether (MPPE) and polystyrene.
By replacing polybutylene terephthalate (PBT) resin for these applications with NORYL resin in the updated EV, Nissan not only shed weight, but achieved a higher flame retardant (FR) rating (V-0 from HB) under UL94.
Flame tests under UL94 are used to determine a material’s tendency to either extinguish or spread a flame once it has been ignited.
In addition to its excellent FR performance and safety considerations for electrical hazards, NORYL resin provides proven chemical resistance to electrolytes, heat resistance to 80 C, low warpage, low moisture absorption, dimensional stability, and mechanical strength to ensure consistent performance.
Molding these battery applications from NORYL resin also helped Nissan stay on top of the global trend away from the use of chlorinated and brominated flame retardants.
Furthermore, by molding the spacers with NORYL resin, Nissan was able to achieve precise tolerances and snap-fit designs – allowing for automated process assembly.
SABIC worked side-by-side with Nissan throughout this project, providing extensive technical support to a number of teams – from battery design engineering to material engineering and vehicle quality assurance engineering.
CONTACT USReach out to us for one-on-one support to ensure you have all the information and insights you need to choose the best-fit material for your application.
© 2022 Copyright by SABIC. All rights reserved. SABIC and brands marked with TM are trademarks of SABIC or affiliates.
Your PDF is downloading. Please wait.
Register for High value Multi-Point Data
- Access validated product data to streamline material selection
- Get inspired by innovative application ideas
- Register for high value multi-point data and a personalized experience